Next tranche of Netaji files to be released after budget session

  • PTI, New Delhi
  • Updated: Mar 11, 2016 18:49 IST
Files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose are displayed at the Police Museum in Kolkata. (AFP File Photo)

The second set of 25 secret files on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose will be released after the Budget session of Parliament, culture minister Mahesh Sharma said on Friday.

The Budget session would conclude on May 13 subject to exigencies of business. As many as hundred secret files were made public by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Netaji’s 119th birth anniversary on January 23.

National Archives of India’s deputy director Sanjay Garg said NAI is converting the second set of files into digital form for the public.

“We have received the second tranche of 25 files on Netaji from culture ministry. We are in the process of making their digitalised copy,” he said.

The files, released last month, comprised over 16,600 pages of historic documents, ranging from those from the British Raj to as late as 2007, an official had said.

NAI also opened a dedicated website to store all the declassified files related to Bose.

In October last year, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had met Netaji’s family and announced that the government would declassify the files relating to the leader whose disappearance 70 years ago remains a mystery.

While two commissions of inquiry had concluded that Netaji had died in a plane crash in Taipei on August 18, 1945, a third probe panel, headed by Justice MK Mukherjee, had contested it and suggested that Bose was alive.

also read

Shiromani Akali Dal is against use of drugs, money in polls, says CM Badal
Show comments