The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has demanded a factual report within two weeks in the case relating to the sexual abuse and murder of children in Nithari village in Noida and has said that officials of the state administration found responsible for prolonged negligence of routine investigations and civil functions should be sacked forthwith.
Taking suo-motu cognisance of reports appearing in the electronic and print media, the NHRC on Tuesday sent out a notice to the chief secretary and DGP of Uttar Pradesh - demanding an explanation in the matter. If contents of reports are true, the gruesome case of human rights violation might have resulted from certain acts of omission on the part of civil servants, who did not take timely action in the matter, the notice said.
Speaking to the Hindustan Times, Acting Chairperson Justice Shivraj Patil said the commission would be able to make further comments in the matter after obtaining the response of the Uttar Pradesh Government within a period of two weeks.
The commission pointed out in its notice that reports suggested that at least 38 children had gone missing from Nithari village in the last 30 months, while only 19 cases had been registered. "The recent discovery of skeletons and body parts in the area suggests that more than those registered as missing have been killed," the commission said. It further pointed out that the reports have revealed that the barbaric acts of the employer-servant duo of Mohinder Singh and Surender had come to light not because of police investigations into the disappearance of children, but by sheer chance.
Quoting a newspaper editorial on the horrifying incident, the commission said that the drain where skeletons had been found had neither been cleaned nor inspected. This highlights the negligence of the state administration, it added.