With states hesitating in handing over at least half a dozen unsolved cases to NIA -- in which operatives of Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) are main suspects -- the agency has decided to register an open FIR in connection with SIMI’s activities all across the country, sources told Hindustan Times.
“It will be an overall FIR pertaining to SIMI’s activities all across the country. Generally, an FIR is registered in connection to a particular incident but here, since the SIMI operatives are continuously plotting terror actions, the NIA wants to register an open FIR against the outfit, which remains banned for the last 14 years. The agency has sought sanction from the home ministry in this regard,” said a central counter terror official requesting anonymity.
The NIA had also written to the home ministry last year asking it to hand over probes in three terror cases – the Bijnor blast (Sept 12), Karim Nagar bank robbery (Feb 2) and Pune’s police station parking blast (July 11) – where SIMI operatives were main suspects but in the absence of concurrence from the respective state governments, the case could not be handed over to the federal anti-terror agency.
“Though the ministry can hand over any terror probe to the NIA, the Centre avoids taking the route in order to not to annoy state governments,” said a home ministry official requesting anonymity.
But the cases, wherein a particular module of SIMI operatives are on the run from October 2013 after escaping from Madhya Pradesh’s Khandwa prison, has grown quite long. Their hand is now suspected in last year’s blasts in a Chennai train (May 1), Roorkee (December 6) and Bengaluru (December 28) as well as forensic experts have similarities in the Improvised Explosive Devices used for explosions, say sources.
Early this month, home minister Rajnath Singh wrote letters to chief ministers of Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and asked them to personally look into all aspects of probes into the Khandwa prison break and blasts in Chennai and Bengaluru.