Australian opener Matthew Hayden on Saturday rubbished rumours that Damien Martyn's sudden decision to retire was taken after they had a dressing-room fight.
Speculation has been rife about what prompted Martyn's shock retirement, which came before last month's third Ashes Test amid reports that the former batsman had sold his story to Channel Nine for an undisclosed sum.
Hayden, on his part, denied any bust up with Martyn.
"We allegedly had a punch-up, which is absolute, total fabrication," Hayden said.
"His decision really, just to go totally on his own and back away was an absolute cracker -- something really unheralded in sport," he said.
"Contrary to what's been written about, I'm actually very proud of his decision and totally respectful of where he's at right now," he was quoted as saying in 'The Age'.
Last week, Martyn's confidant and Sydney radio personality Alan Jones had also denied Martyn and Hayden had an argument at the end of the second Ashes Test in Adelaide.
Martyn has not spoken publicly about his retirement, with Cricket Australia releasing a written statement from him the day he made the announcement.
Martyn shocked and delighted his former team-mates last week when he visited the Australian dressing room at the end of the fifth Test in Sydney.
It was reported that Hayden immediately embraced Martyn when he walked into the room.
A report in the 'Courier Mail' said Martyn is set to receive a sum of around $30,000 for telling his story in a TV programme for Channel Nine.