A day before University of Delhi (DU) came out with its first cut-off list, a number of skeptical students feared losing out on a seat.
The fear, many applicants claimed, had stemmed from the fact that they had been told by some DU officials that admissions would apparently be on first-come-first-served basis.
"My daughter has secured 91% in her Class 12 board exams and has applied for English, History and Political Science courses in DU. Since we stay in Chandigarh, we may not be able to make it to Delhi on the first day itself. But we are very scared, because we were told by some DU officials that admission would be on a first-come-first-serve basis, following which the colleges would close admissions if all its seats were full," said Kamal Gupta, a parent from Chandigarh.
Other students too, said that they were told by some colleges that admissions would be closed if the total number of seats were filled up.
"I had gone to a few colleges and the authorities told me that if they had more students than the number of seats then they would close admissions. I am extremely scared now because I do not want to lose out on an opportunity of studying at DU," said Anjani Gupta, an aspirant.
University officials, however, rubbished the claims, stating that no such measures would be taken by any of the colleges. All students making the cut in the first cut-off list can seek admission from June 27 to 29, till 1pm. Within this time - officials said - no college can deny admission to a student who meets the cut-off.
"This is not true at all. Even if a course in a particular college has 50 seats and 100 students have made the cut, all students will be admitted within the stipulated days of admissions. Students have nothing to worry about because any student who clears the cut-off will have to be admitted by the college," said a senior DU official.