Government on Wednesday made it clear in Rajya Sabha that it would not allow middlemen in defence deals and details of defence procurement would be published and put on website.
"There was a time when defence procurement was classifed as a secret," Defence Minister AK Antony said during Question Hour adding the UPA government had decided to make it transparent.
The defence procurement will also be put on the website, he said.
In reply to a query from SP member Amar Singh, Antony said there would be no middlemen in arms deal.
He said the new guidelines on defence procurement were adopted after consultations with Comptroller and Auditor General, Central Vigilance Commission and Parliamentary Standing Committees.
On the import of defence weapons, Antony said it would be mandatory on all foreign firms which bag contracts worth over Rs 300 crore to plough back 30 per cent of the amount back into the country.
Antony said it would be the policy of the government to encourage indigenous defence productions as far as possible.
In reply to a query, the Minister said during the last five years, 95-98 per cent of the budgeted funds for Defence had been utilised.