The Ghaziabad Development Authority (GDA) officials on Friday denied having received an approval for the second phase of Metro-extension plans in Ghaziabad. At a meeting with the state officials earlier this week, the GDA was asked to find out the finance options for the second part.
It had earlier been reported that the approval for the same had been received from the state officials for the 9.1-km route between Dishad Garden in Delhi to the New Bus-stand in Ghaziabad. The GDA vice-chairman Narendra Kumar Chaudhary denied the reports.
“There has been no approval for the second phase. We have been asked to arrange for the funds first,” Chaudhary told HT.
The 9.1-km extension into Ghaziabad would cost around Rs 1,000 crore, official said.
Arranging the funds is still a big problem for the GDA. In this regard, a variety of measures have been suggested by the GDA officers to state administration officials. These included hiking the fee for the layout plans, imposing a metro-cess, joint-funding between development agencies and borrowings from the NCR Planning Board (NCRPB).
“We are trying to get the funds from the NCRPB. Although it is just an initial plan, the NCRPB will be approached for the loan,” Chaudhary said.
Meanwhile, work the 2.57-km Anand Vihar-Vaishali extension into Ghaziabad is still going on. The line was to become operational before the Commonwealth Games in October.
Sources in the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation said the route is expected to be completed only in the first half of 2011. They said it was delayed due to shifting of high-tension electricity wires and water pipelines in the Metro route. The GDA has already paid the DMRC Rs 260 crore for the project.