With crucial state assembly elections round the corner, the Babri Masjid demolition day on Wednesday is going to be low-key affair in Uttar Pradesh.
It would be the day of "dua (supplication) and prayer" for the community.
The state government, however, has tightened security in communally sensitive districts. Instructions have been issued to keep vigil around all religious places.
Avoiding more than a decade-old tradition of holding demonstrations and hoisting black flags, the Muslim community has planned to organise prayers in mosques and madrassas this year.
There is a feeling in the community that any hostile demonstration would give a handle to rival forces to politically capitalise on the issue.
The Muslim League, however, has announced to hold a day-long dharna outside the state assembly.
On the other hand, the Bajrang Dal and the Shiv Sena, as a part of celebrating 'Shaurya Diwas', will be lighting up lamps in temples and bursting firecrackers. The VHP has organised a function in Ayodhya to celebrate the demolition day.
Meanwhile, the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) plans to hand over a memorandum to Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav through the Lucknow district magistrate to press for the acceptance of its long-pending demand of a fresh notification in the Babri Masjid demolition case.
AIMPLB member and Naib Imam Eidgah Maulana Khalid Rashid told Hindustan Times that AIMPLB delegation would meet the district magistrate on Wednesday. He said no agitation or black flag demonstration would be organised. He said efforts were being be made to scuttle communal polarisation on the issue.
Similarly, reports from Kanpur said that the Qaumi Mushawart committee, headed by Abul Barkat Najmi, had given call for holding prayer meetings in mosques. There would no public demonstration.
Kanpur had been known for hostile demonstrations in the past. The AIMPLB’s eight-point charter of demands laying stress on fresh notification in the demolition case and punishment to the conspirators has asked the chief minister to withdraw "bullet proofing" plan around the sanctum in Ayodhya.
The board has expressed hope that decision in pending civil suits in the high court would be delivered soon. The board has also asked the government to maintain status quo and stop mobilisation of people at the disputed site.