A top officer of the Central Reserve Police Force has denied media reports that the Jammu and Kashmir government had given shoot-at-sight orders to the paramilitary force to control the protests in the Valley.
"These are only rumours. We have not received any such order," said CRPF Special Director General N K Tripathi.
He also defended the firing on youth protesters.
"There is no truth that our forces are firing on protesters without any provocation. When the situation gets out of control, we have to open fire to save many lives and property," said Tripathi.
On Tuesday, some newspapers carried reports that the government had issued shoot-at-sight orders to security forces. Television news channels even showed some footage of vehicles fitted with loudspeakers making this announcement.
More than 40 protesters have been killed in a wave of protests that began on June 11 when a teenager died after being hit by a teargas shell fired by the police during a protest in Srinagar. The CRPF has suffered no casualties, but 792 personnel have been injured.
"In June, 273 CRPF men got injured. In July, the number of injured went up to 319 and so far in August, 200 CRPF men have been injured in incidents of stone throwing," Tripathi said.The officer also denied that a seven-year-old boy was beaten to death by the CRPF.