A day after a blast killed seven people in a multiplex here, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Monday ruled out revival of terrorism in the state.
After visiting the injured at various hospitals here, he strongly condemned the act of anti-national forces to disturb the peace and harmony in the state.
Asked whether the blast was revival of terrorism in the state, he replied in the negative saying, "people would not allow the hard earned peace to go".
"People of Punjab have no sympathy with terrorists as they have gone through worst days... There is no chances of revival of terrorism," he said.
Badal also announced an ex-gratia grant of Rs two lakh each for the next of kin of those killed in the blast. Talking to reporters after the visiting the blast site here, he said, Punjab Police was probing the incident and only after investigations reach a logical end, the state police would be able to give details.
Badal said it was still premature to say anything about the nature of explosives or the group behind the blast. The top police officers in Punjab reviewed the situation with their counterparts in various districts and directed them to take precautionary measures to prevent re-occurrence of such events.
"Police have been put on high alert especially in thickly populated areas including railway stations, bus stands and marriage palaces," DIG Ishwar Chander said. A senior Punjab Police official said that investigations are being carried out on various angles.
"Forensic experts were examining the chemicals used in the blast," he said, adding at present the nature of chemicals used cannot be disclosed.
The district administrations had been directed not to allow anyone to hold public meetings or gatherings without prior permission, officials said here. Police patrolling had been intensified in view of festive season ahead.