No venue certifications to CGF yet
The Commonwealth Games Federation, which had been assured that the necessary certifications for all the venues and Games Village would be obtained by August 31, is yet to receive any confirmation from the Games Organising Committee till Thursday. Indraneel Das reports.india Updated: Sep 02, 2010 23:35 IST
The Commonwealth Games Federation, which had been assured that the necessary certifications for all the venues and Games Village would be obtained by August 31, is yet to receive any confirmation from the Games Organising Committee till Thursday.
"As of today we have not received any confirmation from the OC," said Mike Hooper, the Chief Executive Officer of the CGF. "Now, the OC has assured us that everything will be in place by Monday (Sep 6)."
The certification, according to Hooper, is very important considering the fact that the Central Vigilance Committee had said in its report that sub-standard material had been used for constructing some infrastructure for the Games. "Whatever information we have is from the CVC report and, as the parent body, our primary concern is the safety of all our athletes," he said.
"Our president, Mike Fennell, also wrote in his report after the venue visits on August 18 that all necessary safety certifications would be given by August 31. So, we have started getting calls from some of the Commonwealth Games Associations. All we want is the assurance that the venues are safe."
However, Hooper tried to play down the issue and said: "Let's not get pessimistic. We are only two days gone. The OC has reassured us that the certifications will be ready by Monday so we will wait. In any case, without the certifications the venues will not be used."
Even the OC said everything would be in place by Monday. Lalit Bhanot, the OC secretary-general said that the OC had already obtained some of the safety certificates and by Monday they would be furnishing all the details to the CGF. "Things are falling in place and by Monday we will be ready," said Bhanot.
CGF chief Fennell in his report had mentioned about the dengue scare. However, Hooper said there were no advisories issued to the CGAs on dengue. "It was just a report by our president who said the chief medical officer of the OC had talked about the precautions that need to be taken," he said.
The chief medical officer talked about the measures taken to protect people from exposure to dengue.
One of them is fogging at regular intervals at venues and Village; the other was removal of debris and prevention of water-logging.