IOC president Jacques Rogge predicted Tuesday that the Commonwealth Games in India will be a success, despite preparations being overshadowed by corruption allegations and delays in venues being completed.
Things have become so bad in India that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh appointed a new group of ministers to oversee preparations, visit venues each week to monitor progress and ensure contractors meet fresh deadlines.
The ministers were meeting in New Delhi on Sunday to plan how to hasten lagging preparations for the events beginning October 3 in the Indian capital.
Rogge, however, blamed much of the problems on “pessimistic media” and said he the Commonwealth Games will showcase India’s ability to host big sporting events.
“I’m optimistic in spite of everything written by pessimist media for the Commonwealth Games,” Rogge told The Associated Press.
“They will show the capacity of India to organize great games.”
NZ official refuses to commit to CWG
Wellington: In a development which has the potential to land a body blow to the controversy-marred Delhi Commonwealth Games, a top New Zealand official has refused to commit participation of Kiwi athletes till their safety concerns are addressed next month.
New Zealand Federation of Athletes chief Rob Nichol said that “hand on heart” he could not say whether his country would send a team in the Commonwealth Games. “The biggest mistake we can make right now is forcing ourselves into a position where we have to make a decision,” Nichol said.
Wallaby Turner joins Aussie quest for gold
Melbourne: Wallaby winger Lachie Turner has been included in Australia’s rugby sevens squad for October’s Commonwealth Games in Delhi, where they will be looking to win gold for the first time.
The Waratahs flyer is one of two Wallabies to be included in the 12-man squad for the Oct. 3-14 Games in India alongside utility back Luke Morahan, the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) announced on Tuesday.
Australia will be seeking a first medal since the bronze they won in the sport’s debut at the quadrennial Games in 1998.
Narang to participate
New Delhi: India’s ace rifle shooter Gagan Narang said Tuesday that he would participate in the Commonwealth Games here from Oct 3-14. Earlier this month Narang, who was overlooked for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna for the third consecutive time, felt he was demotivated and didn’t want to take part in the Games.
But Narang, who won the bronze at the World Championship in Munich, said that the overwhelming response from well-wishers, family and the shooting fraternity has moved him.