Noida mall shootout: cops yet to arrest absconding assailant | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Noida mall shootout: cops yet to arrest absconding assailant

india Updated: Aug 08, 2012 01:21 IST
HT Correspondent

More than 24 hours after a daring robbery bid inside The Great India Place in Noida, the city police have been unable to nab the third assailant who fled the spot. Meanwhile, the police and mall administration have beefed up security at the commercial hub opposite the busy Sector 18 market.

“We are yet to arrest Babu who had escaped. A police team has been formed to hunt him down. We had arrested the other two accomplices, Vikram and Guddu, on Monday. We found that Vikram was working with a private company which had put up a stall at the Home Town outlet in the mall for a few days. His service had been later terminated by his employer,” said Yogesh Singh, Superintendent of Police (city).

Two assailants had barged into the retail outlet around 1.30pm on Monday and snatched a bag containing R15 lakh from a private company employee.

While escaping, they shot at a security guard and auto driver who tried to stop them.

Their accomplice, who was waiting for them outside the mall on a motorbike, managed to flee. The two accused were also injured and were admitted to Kailash Hospital under police custody.

Since they could not be produced in court, a magistrate came to the hospital, recorded their statement and sent them to judicial custody.

The security guard and auto driver injured in the firing are out of danger now and the mall is bearing all medical expenses.

Security guard Rajesh Kumar Mishra was taken to Vinayak Hospital after a bullet hit his left hand. He was discharged from the hospital on Tuesday.

Auto rickshaw driver Mukesh Yadav, however, is still recovering as he suffered bullet injuries on his stomach.

Senior Superintendent of Police also announced a reward for Yadav who will be honoured on August 15. Constable Girivar Singh, who had been deputed outside mall on Monday, also suffered injuries in the scuffle.