Normal life restored in Kashmir valley | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Normal life restored in Kashmir valley

india Updated: Oct 28, 2010 17:48 IST
HT Correspondent

The J-K government lifted security restriction and curfew completely from all parts of Kashmir valley on Wednesday in the backdrop of no-shutdown call of separatists for two days.

All schools, colleges, universities, banks and government offices functioned normally. Exams were also conducted smoothly. Most offices witnessed unusual rush to settle their cases. Traffic also plied normally with no untoward incident reported from Srinagar city. Markets were also buzzing with shoppers busy buying goods.

There will be no shutdown on Friday as per the new protest calendar released by hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani.

“We need to remain steadfast at this critical juncture in the freedom movement.The international community and even the people of India are beginning to feel the pain of Kashmiris. We must be ready to sacrifice for the bigger cause,” said Geelani in a statement while appealing to people to abide by the protest calendar.

Geelani claimed to the Hurriyat has well planned strategy to reach its goal. “The freedom movement had suffered several setbacks in the past due to external and internal treacheries. We won’t allow this to happen again and there would be no changes in the resistance programme until India accepts the disputed nature of Kashmir and the last Indian soldier leaves Kashmir,” he said.

Meanwhile, for third consecutive day bandipora district, 50 km north of Srinagar, observed a shutdown. The district witnessed street violence in the last couple of days, which left scores injured, including policemen.

On Wednesday, police again lobbed tear-smoke shells and swung batons to quell a protest procession. Protesters pelted stones at many police and CRPF personnel.

Since June 11, the day a boy died in police action in Srinagar, 110 people lost their lives in the street protests in Kashmir valley.