North Korea has rejected South Korea’s call for talks to discuss a joint march at the opening and closing ceremonies of next Olympics, officials said on Friday.
South Korea tried to send a message to North Korean officials early July after the International Olympic Committee head Jacques Rogge proposed a joint march in a letter to the two Koreas.
“But North (Korea) refused to receive our message,” a South Korean official said on condition of anonymity. The two Koreas, still technically at war since their 1950-53 conflict, marched together at the Olympic opening ceremonies in 2000 and 2004.
But ties worsened after South Korea’s conservative President Lee Myung-Bak took office in February and promised a tougher line on Pyongyang. The fatal shooting of a South Korean tourist in the North last week has soured the relations between the two countries further.
Ronaldinho, Robinho set to play in Vietnam: Officials
Hanoi: Brazil’s Olympic football team, boasting the likes of Ronaldinho and Robinho, will play Vietnam’s full national side in a friendly at the start of August, an official said Friday.
The game will be played at Hanoi’s My Dinh stadium on August 1, said Tran Quoc Tuan, general-secretary of the Vietnam Football Federation (VFF), and is likely to be a huge draw in football-mad Vietnam.
“This is good news for football fans and players in Vietnam,” he said.
“This is also a very rare opportunity for us to meet the renowned players from Brazil,” Tuan added. Ronaldinho has just completed an 18.5-million-euro move from Barcelona to AC Milan, while Robinho plays for Spanish giants Real Madrid.
The friendly in Vietnam is part of the Brazil Olympic team's preparations for the Beijing Olympics, which begin on August 8.
South Africa’s “Blade Runner” misses out on Beijing berth Johannesburg: South Africa’s double amputee track sensation Oscar Pistorious saw his last hope of winning a place to the Olympics dashed on Friday when he missed out on a berth in the 400-metre relay team. “We did not select him,” Athletics South Africa spokesman Molatelo Malehopo said.
“He is not going at all for the Olympics games ... We have faster guys than him in our Olympic team,” Malehopo added.
Pistorius missed out on the right to compete in Beijing in the individual 400 metre event when he came outside the qualifying time at a meeting in Lucerne on Wednesday night, despite recording a personal best of 46.25 seconds.