Not the first in Millennium City | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 19, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Not the first in Millennium City

india Updated: Mar 20, 2012 00:22 IST
Sunil Thapliyal
Sunil Thapliyal
Hindustan Times
Sunil Thapliyal

It is not the first time that factory workers had clashed with the police in the Millennium City. Time and again, cases of protests turning ugly have led to loss of human lives and property.

In July 2005, a heavy contingent was deployed by the police to stop a protest when nearly 1,000 workers of Honda Motor Cycles and Scooters took to the streets, leaving 350 injured. Trouble began when the police stopped a protest march by the Manesar workers from Kamla Nehru Park. When asked to call it off, the protestors turned violent and attacked the police. They set on fire the then sub-divisional magistrate's jeep and a police motorcycle and damaged other vehicles parked nearby. The SDM, DSP and a police inspector were also assaulted. Since the mob had outnumbered the police force, the officials ran for cover as protestors went on a rampage on MG Road, damaging buildings and vehicles.

In October 2009, RICO company workers along with the All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC) staged a protest following the death of striking employee.

More than 1 lakh workers from various factories in the area gathered outside the Industrial Model Township (IMT) in Manesar and marched to the RICO factory on the Delhi-Jaipur road (NH-8). They also resorted to stone pelting.

Another drama had unfolded in September last year when Maruti Suzuki workers had seized the Manesar factory amid demands for a separate union. More than 2,000 workers at Maruti, including permanent, casual and apprentices, were against their employer's condition that they sign a 'good conduct' bond to maintain smooth manufacturing operations.

The police had arrested two striking workers of the Maruti Suzuki Employees Union on charges of inciting workers to physically attack company supervisors. A heavy deployment of police forces was seen outside the factory premises for several days.