Now, militants get medical training in PoK | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Now, militants get medical training in PoK

india Updated: Aug 18, 2009 01:19 IST
Arun Joshi
Arun Joshi
Hindustan Times
Militant outfits

Militant outfits are raising their own medical corps. These militant doctors are trained in all sorts of medical emergencies, including surgeries in Pakistani hospitals.

Nazir Ahmad Beig, 35, of Badrin, Magam, Budgam is one such trained “doctor”, who has returned from Pakistan occupied Kashmir after receiving such training, others are coming.

He can now treat for all sorts of injuries- bullets, grenade splinters and can even diagnose the high altitude diseases , frostbites and cure them.

"This is for the first time that we have learnt of such a corps coming up among the militants' ranks," a police official who interrogated Nazir, told Hindustan Times.

He received the medical training at Faisalabad hospital for two years, working day and night with doctors and paramedical staff, attending to patients, especially those with bullet or bomb injuries.

A senior officer confirmed all this and said that this is a worrying phenomenon.

This could be because the injured or sick militants die in the heights or when they are brought down, they get arrested because of the locals passing on the information about them. They want to avoid these two situations .

Nazir was among a group of six who were selected for the medical training from the Garhi Habibullah camp, in PoK. He has disclosed four coded names of them - Abdul Majid of Sonwari, Rashid of Doda, Tufail Ahmad of Anantnag and Asghar of Kupwara.

First, he received three months of training in handling arms and ammunition at the camp, a mandatory for all the would be militants.

The camp was frequented by Hizb-ul-Mujahadeen supermo Salaha-ud-Din and his deputy Amir Khan.

Thereafter, he was sent for the medical training.

It was on June 18 th, 2000 when he along with 23 others, took the route via Poonch and crossed over to PoK.

That the militants were raising their medical corps to work in close coordination with the fighting lot in jungles, mountains and villages did not come to light the arrest of Nazir, on a tip off on July 31, when he was on his way to his home, after returning from PoK.

During his nine-year-long stay in PoK and Pakistan, he got a stipend of Rs 3000, which was later raised to Rs. 6,000.

His return journey started from Karachi on a Pakistani passport and landed at Kathmandu, Nepal on July 21. Thereafter, he traveled by public transport via Gorakhpour, Bihar and bthen onto Srinagar.

It makes two things clear that Pakistani establishment is actively involved in the militancy as his baggage had a pistol and magazines, which could not have been loaded onto any aircraft without the connivance of the authorities there.

Secondly, there was a laxity in checking on Indo-Nepal border as well.