They have already delayed the departure to Delhi and it would be another 24 hours before New Zealand take a final call on whether to participate in the troubled Commonwealth Games or become the first country to pull out altogether.
New Zealand's national team manager Dave Currie said attempts to ensure that the facilities were up to the mark were like "like trying to stop the Titanic".
The New Zealand Olympic Committee will receive a report from its President Mike Stanley and secretary general Barry Maister on Delhi's preparedness on Friday after the duo's arrival from the Indian capital.
New Zealand delayed the travel plans of their athletes by two days to give the beleaguered organisers time to spruce up the Games Village, which has been lambasted as "filthy and uninhabitable" by international delegates.
Currie said the next 24 hours would be crucial to New Zealand's final decision but he was "more optimistic" than before after the central government in India got involved.
"We've been pushing extremely hard and it was with some reluctance that we went as public as we did a few days ago, but that was really out of sheer frustration," he said.
"Our responsibility is to ensure their is a safe, secure environment for athletes to arrive in but we want the games to go ahead as do athletes who have trained for a long time.
"We weren't making the progress we needed to but at an ambassadorial level we and other countries have been speaking to the Indian government and it appears at the 11th hour they have taken note of that," he added.
Currie said New Zealand's participation would hinge on India's ability over the next one day to ensure "the completion of all the things that need to be completed."