A day after Hindustan Times exposed the dilapidated state to which the Commonwealth Games shooting range at Kadarpur had been reduced to by a few spells of rain, sports ministry officials remained officially in denial, even as they embarked on damage control.
On Monday, workers swarmed the shooting range, trying to repair the damage. Yet a senior ministry official told HT, “No major structural damage has taken place. The embankments have been washed away but this is normal during the rainy season.”
“There is no structural damage at Kadarpur. All venues are of international standard and the country will face no embarrassment,” Rahul Bhatnagar, joint secretary in the sports ministry, said.
The Central Public Works Department sent its own denial to HT with chief engineer S.M. Amrit claiming the shooting range was “in sound condition, and if required, games can be held there even today.”
Repair work at other venues referred to in the report was restarted as well. Closer scrutiny was not possible, as security around most venues had been tightened following the report.