One picked up by Delhi Police from K'taka | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

One picked up by Delhi Police from K'taka

One person was today picked up by Delhi Police from Karnataka after taking Mohd Saif to the state for further investigations in the Delhi serial blasts case.

india Updated: Sep 22, 2008 22:49 IST

One person was on Monday picked up by Delhi Police from Karnataka after taking Mohd Saif, one of the terrorists who allegedly brought explosives for serial blasts in the national capital, to the state for further investigations in the Delhi serial blasts case.

Police sources said the team had left Manipal for Delhi later this evening with a person detained after his "connections" with the Indian Mujahideen module came to light.

However, sources refused to divulge the kind of association the detained person had with the Indian Mujahideen module which carried out serial blasts in Delhi, Ahmedabad, Jaipur and Varanasi.

Saif was taken to Karnataka this morning and the investigating team visited Udupi and Manipal with the accused, who "told his interrogators" that he brought explosives for carrying out blasts in the national capital from Karnataka.

Joint Commissioner of Delhi Police (Special Cell) Karnal Singh earlier said the Indian Mujahideen led by Atif Ameen had some links in Karnataka and they would investigate that aspect.

Karnataka's Western Range DIG AM Prasad also declined to give further details about bringing Saif to the state for further investigations into the serial blasts.

Though Delhi Police claims that the Indian Mujahideen had orchestrated blasts in Ahmedabad, Varanasi and Jaipur besides Delhi, it had said they were yet to establish any links of the module with the recent Bangalore blasts.

Meanwhile, a senior Delhi Police official on Monday claimed that phone calls made by Atif, the alleged mastermind of the serial blasts in Delhi and other cities, to three mobile phones in Gujarat may hold the key to prove Indian Mujahideen's role in the recent explosions in Ahemadabad. Atif made these calls from his mobile phone to persons who were in Gujarat, whose phones were under technical surveillance of police in the capital and Gujarat and intelligence agencies, a senior Delhi Police official said.

The 24-year-old alleged head of Indian Mujahideen made calls to three numbers -- 971xxxx204, 971xxxx899, 972xxxx196 -- in Gujarat and this could establish the links of the outfit in the Ahmedabad blasts which were "disclosed" by those arrested in New Delhi, the official said.

The forensic analysis of the Atif's phone by the city police also corroborated the statements given by Mohd Saif, who was arrested last Friday for his alleged involvement in Delhi serial blasts, that Atif was in Connaught Place for a reccee on September three, he said.

"Atif's phone was traced to Connaught Place area on September three," the official said.

The technical analysis of the laptop seized from Jamia Nagar flat where Atif and others were staying also showed clippings of Ahmedabad blasts.

The laptop, believed to belong to Atif, also had photographs of Tauqir and video clips of the Ahmadabad blasts, which were sent in emails shot off to various media organisations.

Investigators said that Atif and 11 others had gone to Ahmedabad around July ten and eight of them returned a week after.

The module again went to Ahmedabad on July 23 and returned to the national capital a day after the July 26 blasts.

During interrogation, the investigators claimed, that Mohd Shakil, the ideologue of the module, told them that he planted the bomb in Mani Nagar in Gujarat, the constituency of state Chief Minister Narendra Modi.