Only 1% of Chinese breathe safe air...
1% of Australia's untapped geothermal power potential could provide enough energy to last 26,000 years. Less than 1% of the world's freshwater is readily available for human use.india Updated: Jun 05, 2009 16:33 IST
* Only 1% of China's 560 million city residents breathe air that is considered safe by the European Union
* 1 per cent of Australia's untapped geothermal power potential could provide enough energy to last 26,000 years.
* Less than 1% of the world's freshwater is readily available for human use.
* Every day in the US, we produce enough trash to equal the weight of the Empire State Building.
* 20 to 50 million metric tons of electronic waste are generated worldwide every year. Only 11.4% of that is recovered for "recycling", and of that amount, very little actually ends up getting recycled.
* Recycling one ton of paper saves 17 trees, 2 barrels of oil, 4,100 kilowatts of energy, 3.2 cubic yards of landfill space and 60 pounds of air pollution.
* The human population on earth has grown more in the last 50 years than it did in the previous 4 million years.
* One in four mammals is at risk of extinction. Marine mammals in particular face even steeper odds, with one in three threatened.
* 50 million acres of rainforest are lost every year, totaling an area the size of England, Wales and Scotland combined.
* 50 million acres of rainforest are lost every year, totaling an area the size of England, Wales and Scotland combined. More than 50 percent of all living creatures on the earth reside in tropical rainforests, so with rainforest destruction they're disappearing at a rate of 100 species per day.
* Average temperatures will increase by as much as 12 degrees Fahrenheit by the end of the 21st century if greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise at the current pace.
* If the entire world lived like the average American, we'd need 5 planets to provide enough resources.