Protesting alleged neglect by the Centre in dealing with natural calamities, Orissa government on Saturday ordered all agencies to be in a state of preparedness to tackle possible floods during the coming monsoon.
Recalling the floods that ravaged 25 of the state's 30 districts last year, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told the state level natural calamity committee that the entire machinery must be ready now as monsoon was likely to hit the state early this year.
Immediate steps should be taken to gear up Orissa Disaster Rapid Action Force, manpower and machinery for rescue, relief and rehabilitation, storage of food items and health teams to ensure prompt response, he said.
"Our machinery must be kept prepared to meet any serious eventuality," Patnaik said.
Accusing the Centre of providing a 'lip-service' to the state during natural disasters in the past, state revenue minister Surya Narayan Patro told reporters after the meeting that the Centre sanctioned only Rs 98 crore for flood relief last year despite assurance of Rs 500 crore Central help.
Similarly, the Centre had provided only Rs 25 crore in 2006 after promising the state Rs 200 crore, he claimed.