Overhead wires sparked UPSRTC junk yard fire | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 20, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Overhead wires sparked UPSRTC junk yard fire

A SPARK from loosely hanging overhead electricity wires has been identified as the reason for a fire in the UPSRTC?s junk yard. The fire that broke out in UPSRTC?s junk yard at the Gomti Nagar regional workshop on April 4 damaged over 100 buses awaiting auction. It took around three hours for eight fire tenders to douse the flames.

india Updated: Apr 19, 2006 01:11 IST
HTC

A SPARK from loosely hanging overhead electricity wires has been identified as the reason for a fire in the UPSRTC’s junk yard.

The fire that broke out in UPSRTC’s junk yard at the Gomti Nagar regional workshop on April 4 damaged over 100 buses awaiting auction. It took around three hours for eight fire tenders to douse the flames.

Now, a three-member inquiry panel that was set up the same day has submitted its findings to the UPSRTC management. The committee headed by chief general manager (Technical) AK Srivastava said in its report a possible spark from overhead hanging wires within the workshop could be reason for the fire. It said the wires were loose and not properly insulated. They might have clashed among themselves due to strong winds blowing that day. The panel has also provided photographs showing the place where the fire broke out was just below the hanging wires.

The panel, however, ruled out any possibility of sabotage, or the fire having broken out due to someone having thrown a cigarette stub.  

Significantly, internal wiring in the UPSRTC’s Gomti Nagar workshop has been done by the department itself and not by the electricity department. UPSRTC’s additional MD DK Gupta said that since the wiring was that of the department, “We will fix accountability.” He said he submitted the report to the MD on Monday. The MD will now decide on the next course of action.