A Pakistani anti-terror court on Saturday again adjourned for a week the trial of seven suspects, including LeT's operations chief Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, in connection with the Mumbai attacks amid reports that they were yet to be formally indicted.
Shahbaz Rajput, a lawyer representing two of the suspects, told reporters that Judge Baqir Ali Rana had put off the case till October 10. The last hearing on September 26 had also been adjourned as the judge was then on leave.
Rajput and court officials did not give the reasons for putting off the trial or details about today's proceedings due to a gag order imposed by the judge.
The trial is being conducted behind closed doors at the Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi due to security concerns and the media has been barred from attending the hearings.
Though the seven accused were present at the hearing, sources told PTI they are yet to be formally indicted by the anti-terrorism court.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik had earlier said that the suspects would be formally indicted at the September 26 hearing, which was, however, adjourned to October 3.
The Federal Investigation Agency, which probed Pakistani links to the Mumbai attacks, filed an interim chargesheet against five suspects on April 28. A second and updated chargesheet was filed by the FIA on July 18.
TV news channels reported that a final chargesheet against the seven suspects was submitted in the court today though this could not be independently confirmed.
The seven suspects – Lakhvi, communications expert Zarar Shah, Abu al-Qama, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jamil Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younas Anjum – have been booked under the Anti-Terrorism Act.
They have been accused of training and providing financial support, accommodation, equipment and communication gear to the 10 terrorists who attacked Mumbai in November last year.