Pak establishment knew of Mumbai attack plan: India | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Pak establishment knew of Mumbai attack plan: India

india Updated: Jan 05, 2009 20:53 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

India on Monday demanded from Pakistan extradition of perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks so that they can be brought to justice in India. It also said that it cannot believe a commando-type operation that was in evidence in Mumbai attacks could have taken place without anybody in the Pakistani establishment knowing it.

"Our goals are clear. We want the perepetrators to be brought to Indian justice," Foreign Secretary Shiv Shankar Menon told reporters here briefing them on the material shared with Pakistan today on elements based there linked to the terrorists responsible for the Mumbai carnage.

"All that we want is action and not words from Pakistan. But so far there is no evidence of it," he said replying to questions.

"We have given them material that has come up during our investigations. We hope Pakistan will investigate this material that leads to Pakistan, share the results with us and extend to us legal assistance so that we can bring the perpetrators to Indian justice," Menon said.

"The assistance from Pakistan extends up to and includes extradition," he said.

Maintaining that the time was not for words but for substance and action, Menon said so far India has "not seen any action at all" from Pakistan.

"We would like to see real action as soon as possible," he said in reply to a question on a time-frame for a response from Pakistan.

Observing that the investigation into the serial terror attacks in Mumbai were not over, the Foreign Secretary said while the crime was committed in India, the conspiracy was hatched in Pakistan. "Hence we have requested Pakistan to fulfil her commitments to us," he said.

Maintaining that New Delhi had earlier given evidence to Islamabad on the deadly attack on Indian Embassy in Kabul, Menon said "we are hoping that the previous pattern (of not cooperating) is not repeated in this case." Under international conventions and SAARC Charter, Pakistan was obliged to extradite the perpetrators of the terror attacks in India, he said.

The material handed over to Pakistan in New Delhi and Islamabad includes the records of interrogation of arrested terrorist Mohd Ajmal Kasab, details of the terrorists' communication with elements in Pakistan during the attack, details of the weapons or equipment recovered from the crime scene and details of data recovered from GPS instruments and satellite phones, Menon said.

"It is hard to believe that something of this scale that took so long in preparation and of this nature that amounts to a commando attack could occur without anybody, anywhere in the establishment knowing this was happening. This beggars my imagination.

Wherever the investigation leads, we will follow," the Foreign Secretary said.

Observing that the investigation into the serial terror attacks in Mumbai were not over, the Foreign Secretary said while the crime was committed in India, the conspiracy was hatched in Pakistan.

"Hence we have requested Pakistan to fulfil her commitments to us," he said.