Pakistan on Monday said it had called in India’s deputy envoy to seek a probe into a “threatening phone call” purportedly made from New Delhi to the Governor House in the southern port city of Karachi last week.
The spokesperson for Pakistan’s Foreign Office said the Indian deputy high commissioner was called in on Saturday and “informed of the threatening phone call received in the Governor House, Karachi, from New Delhi” on October 23.
“Details of the call were also shared with him. It was requested that government of India may have the matter investigated and share results with Pakistan at the earliest,” said a brief statement issued by the Foreign Office. It did not give details about the purported phone call.
There was no official word on the development from the external affairs ministry.
According to reports in the Pakistani media, the Governor House in Karachi, the capital of Sindh province, received a “threatening call” from an unidentified man in India who claimed the governor’s residence would be bombed.
The call was made purportedly made from New Delhi on Friday morning, the media reports said. The staff of the Governor House staff informed security agencies about the development.
Security arrangements at the Governor House were beefed up and Pakistani authorities launched an investigation into the matter. A search of the Governor House did not yield any explosive materials, the media reports said.
“It was most probably a hoax call aimed at panic-mongering,” an unnamed official was quoted as saying in a report on the website of Samaa news channel.
The development became public on a day when Geeta, a hearing and speech impaired woman stranded in Pakistan for nearly 15 years, returned home to India.