4-5 pears, peeled, cored and diced (about 6 cups)
2 tbsp canola or olive oil
8 whole cloves
4 cardamom pods
2 cinnamon sticks
2 dried green chillies
2 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp nigella seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp julienne sliced ginger
2 tbsp garlic, thinly sliced
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 tbsp salt
½ tsp cayenne/ red chilli flakes
½ tsp turmeric
1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add whole cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, chillies, fennel and nigella seeds. Cook for one minute or until fragrant.
3. Add onions; sauté until browned. Add julienne ginger and garlic; sauté 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add remaining ingredients except pears and simmer until slightly syrupy, 10 -15 minutes.
5. Add pears and simmer until tender but still hold their shape, 15-30 mins, depending on their ripeness 6. When pears are cooked, use a slotted spoon to transfer chutney to a tray to cool. If desired, remove large pieces of whole spices.
7. Return any remaining liquid to stove and simmer until thick and syrupy. Combine with pears in a bowl and let cool.