A 32-year-old farmer was killed when battery of his mobile phone exploded at village Lohraura in Satna district , 486 km from Bhopal, on Sunday.
This is perhaps first incident of death due to mobile set explosion in the country , though several cases of injuries have been reported in the past.
The mobile set was Nokia 1100. Sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) Nagod Suryakant Sharma said Srikant Saket was talking on his mobile phone standing close to a 5000 kv high-tension (HT) pole. Suddenly the battery of the mobile exploded, causing his fatal injury.
He died while being taken to the hospital. He is survived by wife and two children.
In rural areas, mobile users often prefer to talk on cell phone near electric poles. They believe electric poles help get better signals to mobile set.