Make sure your pet enjoys your holiday trip as much as you do.1. See your vet: Visit a vet before travelling, and make sure your pet is healthy enough to withstand the journey. A health and vaccination certificate is mandatory.
2. Feed well: Give your pet a light meal about two hours before they travel. Make sure that your pet also goes to the toilet before you leave for airport.
3. Make your pet comfortable: If you are travelling by plane, make sure that the carrying container of your pet is well-ventilated and has enough room for the animal to move around. Place adequate food and water for the trip in the carrying container, with easily refillable containers for a long journey. Place a familiar-smelling cushion or rug in the container to help your pet settle.
4. Travelling in a car: When the dog is in the car use a canine crate. You can also buy a dog harness, which clips into the seatbelt of the car.
5. Keep your pet safe: Don’t leave your pet in a parked car in hot weather. Never leave him in direct sunlight, always park in the shade. Do not let your dog hang his head out the window of a moving vehicle as this can lead to eye injuries and may cause an accident.
6. Stop regularly: Make regular stops to allow your pet to relieve himself if necessary.
Inputs from Dr KG Umesh, Waltham