Pin removed from boy?s lung | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 18, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Pin removed from boy?s lung

A YOUNG boy from Tikamgarh was saved from major complications when a metallic pin, lodged in his lung four days ago, was removed at a local hospital here.

india Updated: Dec 01, 2006 18:08 IST

A YOUNG boy from Tikamgarh was saved from major complications when a metallic pin, lodged in his lung four days ago, was removed at a local hospital here.

The pin was removed without an open surgery using a special method of bronchoscopy on Thursday at the Agrawal Hospital in Arera Colony.

Pulmonary and critical care expert Dr Priyanath Agrawal conducted the non-invasive surgery. The boy has already regained consciousness and is doing fine.

The boy – Vikas Vishwakarma – a student of Class VII inhaled the metallic pin by mistake when he had put it in his mouth and had sudden bout of cough. He was taken to hospital at Jhansi where X-Ray testing revealed that the pin had lodged in his lung.

Doctors at Jhansi told parents of the child that the pin could not be removed without open surgery but parents were not willing to put their son on operation table.

“We could not muster courage for the open surgery,’’ Omprakash Vishwakarma, Vikas’s father, who owns a shop at village Jatera near Tikamgarh, told Hindustan Times.

He said Dr Sharad Chandra at Jhansi referred them to Agrawal Hospital where the non-invasive surgery was successfully conducted this morning. “We are very happy and grateful to Dr Agrawal,’’ Vishwakarma said.

Dr Agrawal mentioned that rigid bronchoscopy was used to remove the pin that remained lodged in the boy’s left lung for four days. If the pin was not removed the boy was sure to develop pneumonia and further serious complications. Already pus formation had started around the point where the pin was lodged, he said.

Dr Agrawal has cautioned children from putting any foreign particle that might get into their windpipe through their mouths. He said it was highly risky and during the course of the past year and a half, he had removed objects such as whistle, nosepin, grams, groundnut, tamarind seed from the pulmonary region of patients.