Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday reviewed the status of investigations into the serial bomb blasts in suburban trains in Mumbai last year and reiterated that the government would not rest till the guilty are punished.
Mumbai police has filed charge sheets against 25 accused in this case; non-bailable warrants have been issued against 15 other suspects including the mastermind who are on the run. In case of two of them, India has also got the Interpol to issue Red Corner Notices against them.
“The Prime Minister has said that all those against whom cases have already been registered and all those who are wanted in this case will be brought to justice. The Government will not rest till the guilty are punished,” Prime Minister’s Media Adviser Sanjaya Baru said in a statement after the meeting.
Singh also hailed the courage and forbearance of the people of Mumbai and their determination to stand united in the fight against terrorism.
Apart from reviewing the investigations, the Prime Minister also went over the status of settling compensation claims of the victims and the promise to give jobs to the next of kin of the dead
Baru said Singh had asked the railway ministry to ensure that the Railway Claims Tribunal expedites the disposal of claims for compensation. The Maharashtra government and the railway ministry have told the Prime Minister that approvals for employment had been given to 96 of the 118 applicants so far.