As the Maharashtra Police on Thursday admitted they were investigating the alleged involvement of an Indore-based Hindu right wing group in the Malegaon and Modasa blasts on September 29, the Hindu Jagran Manch (HJM) denied its role in the blasts.
“All aspects of the matter are being investigated and we cannot say presently if a particular organisation is behind it,” a senior Maharashtra Police official said to a query on whether an Indore-based Hindu group was involved in the blasts.
According to sources, the Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) of the Mumbai Police had detained four men — Shyam Sahu, Dilip Nahar, Dharmendra Bairagi and Shiv Narayan Singh — from Indore on October 19.
The HJM’s state convener Radheshyam Yadav told HT that media reports about his organisation’s involvement in the blasts were baseless. The reports say suspects from an Indore-based Hindu extremist group — known to have links to the BJP’s student wing, the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad —– had been taken in for questioning by the Maharashtra Police.
Maharashtra Home Minister R.R. Patil and DGP A.N. Roy, however, declined to comment on the issue.
Five persons were killed in the Malegaon blast while one was killed in Modasa in Gujarat. In both cases, bombs were placed on motorcycles parked in crowded areas to cause maximum casualty.
The reports said investigators had tracked down the group while investigating the origins of the motorcycle used in Malegaon.
According to the Yadav, the men who have been detained may have been used by alleged Students’ Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) activist Abu Faisal, alias Dr Farhan, who is at large.
“The ATS had visited Indore to hunt Dr Farhan in connection with the Ahmedabad blasts. It is said that four vehicles used in the Ahmedabad blasts were stolen by a gang of vehicle lifters on his directives. The same may be the case in the Malegaon blasts too,” Yadav reasoned.