Police clueless about robbers' identity | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police clueless about robbers' identity

india Updated: Sep 28, 2009 01:30 IST
Highlight Story

Two days after the Gurgaon police gunned down two armed robbers in an alleged exchange of gunfire inside the house of an automobile company executive in Palam Vihar, the police are still clueless about the identity of the assailants.

"We did not recover even a single identity document from the assailants bodies after the encounter," said SS Deswal, Gurgaon police commissioner.

The post mortem of the bodies could not be conducted on Sunday also as the claimants of none of two criminals showed up. "We will wait for three days for the claimants. After that, we will conduct the post mortem on our own," said a police official.

Police said they would release sketches of the alleged robbers to help their relatives identify them. The investigating officials said the two robbers who were killed were tall, thin and fair complexioned.

On Friday night, seven armed criminals had targeted the house of Anup Chaturvedi, the general manager of Maruti Suzuki Limited, at 9.30 pm. Three of them took away their car. The others kept the family hostage reportedly with the intention of robbery. Two of them were gunned down between 11.35 p.m. and 11.55 pm.

Deswal said, "The accomplices of the two assailants who escaped arrest should inform their relatives about their death and the latter should come forward to claim the bodies. We have not found even a single identity proof of the dead criminals from their possession except for a mobile phone."

The police commissioner said the dead criminals did not look like local Haryanavi men.

According to what the family said, they appear to be migrants from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.

The encounter version given by the police does not match that of the family members. Police had claimed that its personnel barged into the house and rescued the family members, except Anup Chaturvedi who had sneaked out earlier.

Police teams entered the house only at 11.35 pm. The family said they had come out of the house earlier at about 10.00 pm. Police have also failed to explain the exact number of criminals inside the house and how the rest managed to escape.