A KAFKAESQUE haze has descended on the Indore police after a private news channel reported that the e-mail purportedly from Lashkar-e-Qahar on Saturday claiming responsibility for the July 7 serial blast in Mumbai, had been traced to Khajrana area in the City. Was it just hoax or is there any truth in the matter is still unclear.
Adding to the confusion was the arrest of a Class 12 student, Sumit Tamrakar in Bhopal, who had sent e-mails to newspaper and television channels in Bhopal in the name of Lashkar-e-Qahar. It now appears that the e-mail that Tamrakar had sent was different from the e-mail which had been received by various television channels in Mumbai, after the July 7 blasts.
Adding substance to the theory that ‘something must be up’ was ADG (intelligence) S K Raut’s visit to the metropolis today. Was he there investigating the e-mail angle or something else could not be confirmed, but his presence was being interpreted that something was afoot, and if not an Indore angle, there was at least a Madhya Pradesh angle to it.
In Indore, SP Anshuman Yadav and IG Shailendra Shrivastava were at pains to tell any journalist inquiring into the matter that they have not received any information from police from anywhere that any e-mail claiming responsibility for the Mumbai blast had been traced to Indore.
Yadav said, “police from no where have said that they have traced the mail to Indore,” and added, “we are not investigating the e-mail from our end.”
Yadav said they had contacted police officials concerned in Mumbai regarding the e-mail and they told that the case was still being investigated and no Mumbai police official had told the media in Mumbai that any e-mail claiming responsibility of the blast had been traced to Indore.
IG (intelligence) Umesh Shadangi talking to Hindustan Times over phone said that he had nothing else to add apart from what the police officials said in Indore.
Police officials maintained that as of now they are not in a position to say anything definitely since it is possible that something is afoot which is a closely guarded secret now which will come out eventually.
“How can we discount the possibility totally, maybe the sources of the person who broke the story are solid,” argued a senior police officer.
On the ground level at least, there appears to be nothing. Interestingly, the news in CNN-IBN, datelined Delhi, said that the e-mail had been traced to the ‘Khajrana district of Indore’. Incidentally, Khajrana is only a small locality in the Indore city, and not a ‘district.’
However, Indore and the entire Malwa region has come under a scanner and its name is cropping up because the region has been a nurturing ground for Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) activists.
Most of the top SIMI activists and the hub of their activity is the entire Malwa region especially Ujjain and Indore region. The current national general secretary Safdar Nagori is from Mahidpur, Ujjain, while the zonal secretary Imran Ansari is from Indore.
Some of the other top activists of the area among others are Shahid Pasha, Iqbal Nagori, Akbar Baig, Abdul Razzak and Ameel Parvez. Incidentally, Parvez is married to daughter of Munir Ahmed, one of the prominent leaders of the mainstream Muslim politics in the city.
In this all male bastion, the name of Ayesha, the head of female wing of SIMI also figures prominently. She hails from Ujjain, but also had a house in Khajrana, Indore.
The story so far
A CNN-IBN story from Delhi at around 3 pm yesterday said Laskhar-e-Qahar e-mail claiming responsibility of July 7, Mumbai blast traced to Indore. The news was attributed to police sources in Delhi.
At around 10 pm, a PTI report from Mumbai, quoting a source in Mumbai Crime Branch source ‘confirmed’ that the e-mail had originated from Indore, but did not give details.
Police officers in Indore and Bhopal say they have received no communication from either Delhi or Mumbai police regarding the issue.