The Mumbai police on Wednesday charged Ajmal Amir Kasab with waging war against India and named 35 Pakistanis — including two army officers and Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) chief Hafiz Sayeed and commanders Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah — among the conspirators for the 26/11 attacks on the city that left 166 people dead.
The police filed a 11,280-page charge-sheet against Kasab, the lone survivor among the 10 terrorists, two Indians — Fahim Akhtar Ansari and Sabahuddin Ahmed Shaikh — and 35 Pakistanis who, they said, were LeT operatives or their sympathisers.
“It was a closely guarded conspiracy. Our investigation is still on to unravel many unknown facts,” Mumbai police crime branch chief Rakesh Maria said when asked if the role of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence or its army had been established.
“There are two names with supposed army designations. It is still not clear if they were serving or retired armymen serving in the Lashkar hierarchy,” Maria said.
Asked if the charge-sheet addressed the 30 questions put by Pakistan, Maria said, “Hopefully, this charge-sheet contains all answers.”
Though 12 FIRs were registered in connection with the terror attacks, the police filed one consolidated charge-sheet clubbing all the offences. “All these offences are part and parcel of one broader conspiracy,” special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told the court.
The charge-sheet said the motive behind the attack was to target India’s financial capital and foreign tourists. The evidence included transcripts of phone calls between the attackers and their “handlers” in Pakistan, video footage from attack sites, and Kasab’s confession.
The charge-sheet says Fahim and Sabahuddin conducted reconnaissance of various targets in Mumbai and provided LeT top commanders with detailed maps, photographs and video clips.