An army major and his team have been accused of entering a criminal conspiracy to abduct three youths, who were later killed in an alleged fake encounter, in a probe report by Jammu and Kashmir Police handed over to the Army which on Sunday ordered a high-level enquiry into the case.
The report was handed over to the 15 Corps Commander Lt Gen N C Marwah.
In its preliminary probe, police alleged that Major Opinder and his team including two subedar majors and a sepoy allegedly conspired with Rafiabad locals including a jawan of Territorial Army — Abbas Shah — and kidnapped three youths on the pretext of providing them job, official sources said.
They were later killed on April 30 after being labelled as terrorists.
“Based on the preliminary report of the Machhil encounter, received from Jammu and Kashmir Police late evening on 29 May, a high-level enquiry has been ordered by the Army,” a defence spokesman said.
He said the enquiry will investigate all allegation, based on police report and efforts are on to “recall” the witnesses as their unit had been de-inducted.
“We will judiciously expedite the proceedings as promised,” spokesman Lt Col J S Brar said.
“The only delay we foresee is in recalling the witnesses who involved in the incident as the unit de-inducted after competing its mandated tenure... efforts to get them back have already been initiated,” he said.