Police succeed to keep militants at bay in Srinagar, day passes off peacefully | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police succeed to keep militants at bay in Srinagar, day passes off peacefully

india Updated: Jan 26, 2010 18:18 IST
Highlight Story

Facing militant threats to carry out car and fidayeen (suicide) attack on Republic Day in Sringar, Jammu and Kashmir Police’s coordination and four-tier security proved a success in keeping militants at bay.

The R-Day function in Srinagar was held at well-fortified Bakshi Stadium, where state Finance minister Abdul Rahim Rather addressed a gathering after march pasts by police and CRPF.

“This was my career’s biggest challenge to have incidence-free function at Bakshi Stadium,” said IG Kashmir Farooq Ahmad.

He said militants were adamant to disturb function on the occasion. DGP Kashmir Kuldeep Khuda had warned of suicide attacks in Srinagar, quoting intelligence inputs.

There were reports that two fidayeen squads were successful in entering into Srinagar and handlers sitting across the Line of Control (LoC) were asking militants in the Valley to carry out a series of grenade attacks on January 26.

As part of stringent security measure in place, the security forces manned at Bakhshi Stadium even searched the flag cars of the top officials before allowing them to enter into the stadium, where the main function was held.

Due to security measures, very few people could attend the function. Around 500 were able to attend the function held with most of them from Chadoora area, district Budgam, which is the constituency of the Finance Minister Abdul Rahim Rather.

More than 18,000 additional policemen were asked to man Srinagar city to ward off any militant attempt to disrupt functions being held.

As a security measure, the mobile phones in the summer capital were jammed from Tuesday morning for more than two hours. The main venue was woven with concertina wires and metallic barricades.

The valley observed a complete shutdown on the strike call given by the separatist leaders. All the business establishments were closed and traffic remained completely off the roads today.