Police watched professor die: College peon | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police watched professor die: College peon

india Updated: Sep 02, 2006 02:09 IST

KOMAL SINGH Sanger, who saw Professor H S  Sabharwal being beaten to death during student election violence six days ago and filed the FIR that resulted in the arrest of two ABVP biggies, is enraged.

On Friday, the Madhav College peon told the Hindustan Times that four to five policemen had been present when the teacher was attacked and they had done nothing to try and save him.

Sanger is also frustrated at the silence of the professor’s colleagues, who have made no move to come forward and tell the police what they saw.

Standing by his statement that ABVP state president Shahiranjan Akela and organising secretary Vimal Tomar were involved in the assault, Sanger also said the assailants were the same people who had altercated with another professor, M.L. Nath, minutes before the murderous assault on Sabharwal.

Sanger has not received any threat from the accused but he and his family are living in constant fear. However, he did tell NDTV that he was being “pressurised” to withdraw his statement, which led to the arrests of the ABVP leaders, and that he feared for his life.

As a result, the police have enhanced his security cover. Armed constables have been deployed at his house and he now has five guards. Earlier, he was provided three guards.

Sanger, who was undergoing medical treatment for some health complications after lodging the police complaint, has been discharged from hospital. The CID, which is investigating the case, interrogated Akela and Tomar on Friday, sources said. The agency has not named any more accused.

However, according to a PTI report, another NSUI worker, Aniket Jain, was arrested on Friday for rioting during the college union elections on August 26. This takes the total number of arrests in the case to 24. Earlier, 23 NSUI workers were arrested for rioting and later released on bail by a local court, the report said.