Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 continued its record-setting sorcery at international theaters this past weekend and is well on its way to passing the half-billion dollar mark in total worldwide receipts just days after it opened.
As of Sunday night, Potter 7 had earned $481.5 million worldwide, with a record-breaking $312.3 million of that coming from 59 international territories, including record grosses in Great Britain ($36.6 million) and Australia ($26.7 million). As usual, Harry's box office magic got a little wizardly assist from ticket-price inflation and pricey 3-D admissions.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon continued to pummel international audiences into submission in its third weekend of release. After dominating the chart for two weeks, Michael Bay's destruction derby remains an overseas favorite, adding another $39 million in nearly 9,300 locations in 59 territories. This brings the cumulative international total to $460 million and its worldwide revenue within stomping distance of $800 million.
Cars 2 took the weekend's international checkered flag in third place with $12.4 million in 28 territories and an overseas total of $146.6 million and a global total of $311.9 million after a month in release.
Here are the top 10 movies at international theaters this past weekend, followed by distributor, international gross for the weekend (excluding North America), worldwide gross to date (including North America), and number of weeks in domestic release, as compiled on Monday by Rentrak and provided by Hollywood.com:
1. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2," Warner Bros. International, $312,300,000, $481,500,000, one week.
2. "Transformers: Dark of the Moon," Paramount International, $39,000,000, $762,800,252, three weeks.
3. "Cars 2," Walt Disney International, $12,400,000, $311,926,000, four weeks.
4. "Kung Fu Panda 2," Paramount International, $9,500,000, $582,063,774, eight weeks.
5. "Mr. Popper's Penguins," Fox International, $6,562,985, $100,763,246, five weeks.
6. "Bad Teacher," Sony Pictures Releasing International, $6,500,000, $146,705,192, five weeks.
7. "Bridesmaids," Universal Pictures International, $5,300,000, $220,090,335, 10 weeks.
8. "Zookeeper," Sony Pictures Releasing International, $5,100,000, $58,152,466, two weeks.
9. "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," Walt Disney International, $3,100,000, $1,028,741,000, nine weeks.
10. "Larry Crowne," Universal Pictures International, $2,000,000, $44,627,885, three weeks.