Britain's Prince Charles, currently in Pakistan, hastily organised new travel plans on Tuesday following the Pakistan military raid that killed 80 people a day earlier in a northwestern tribal region of the country, a diplomat said.
Charles and his wife, Camilla, were expected to travel to the northwestern city of Peshawar on Tuesday, but were advised by Pakistani authorities at the last-minute not to travel to the region following Monday's attack on a suspected terrorist training camp in the Bajur district village of Chingai.
Instead, Charles arrived at the Fatimah Jinnah University in Rawalpindi, the garrison city near the capital, Islamabad, to meet students and teachers before giving a speech, said British High Commission spokesman Aidan Liddle.
Locals and Islamic leaders denounced the attack they said killed 80 innocent students and teachers, and called for nationwide protests, including in Peshawar.
The royal couple will later travel to the ancient city of Taxila, west of Islamabad, which has been listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site for its Buddhist and Sikh influences.
Charles and Camilla arrived on Sunday for a five-day trip, their first visit to Pakistan.
British and Pakistani officials have billed Charles' visit as a bid to boost bilateral cultural, economic and education relations as well as promote Charles' efforts to strengthen interfaith dialogue.
On Monday, the prince met Pakistani President Gen Pervez Musharraf and raised the issue of Mirza Tahir Hussain, a British national of Pakistani descent, who has been convicted in the 1988 killing of a taxi driver, a senior Pakistani diplomat said.
Hussain was scheduled to be executed on November 1 in Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi, a garrison city near Islamabad, but Musharraf has delayed the execution until the end of the year.