* Jyoti Basu was a member of CPI (M) from West Bengal.
* He served as the Chief Minister of West Bengal from 1977 to 2000, making him India's longest-serving Chief Minister as of 2009.
* He was a member of the CPI (M) Politburo from the time of the party's founding in 1964 until 2008.
* Basu's first track in politics was his efforts to organize the Indian students studying in United Kingdom, mostly for the cause of Indian Independence.
* Basu was elected to the Bengal Legislative Assembly in 1946, contesting the Railway constituency.
* In January 2006 the Supreme Court of India issued notices to Basu and others in connection with land allotments in Salt Lake.
* On January 1, 2010, Basu was admitted to AMRI hospital, Salt Lake after feeling unwell. As of 16 January 2010, his health condition is 'extremely' critical and he is suffering from multiple organ failure. Latest by 17th, January, 2010, he is put on all possible life support system. 'The cardiovascular and the heamodynamic system, the lungs and the kidneys-all are almost failing' as said by the Doctors of AMRI.