The governor of the Afghan district of Chogyani, as well as the its police chief and security head were killed in a bomb attack in the country's eastern province of Nangarhar, said a spokesperson for the Afghan Interior Ministry.
Spokesperson Semarai Bashari added that two bodyguards were also killed by what Afghan authorities believe was a remote-controlled bomb, as the officials were heading by car Monday to a location where a school was burned down by extremists overnight.
Yusouf Ahmadi, said to be a Taliban spokesperson, claimed responsibility for the killings, which came amid further heavy fighting in southern Afghanistan.
The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said that at least 52 radical Islamist rebels had been killed in fighting in the southern province of Uruzgan.
ISAF said a gunbattle lasting several hours took place Sunday after rebels attacked ISAF and Afghan army soldiers.
It said there were no casualties among the ISAF forces, consisting mainly of Dutch soldiers in Uruzgan.
The ISAF statement did not indicate any possible casualties among Afghan soldiers.