Selvaraghavan's Pudupettai did not set the box office on fire like his previous two releases, 7 G Rainbow Colony and Kadhal Konden, yet it continues to be the top selling Tamil film -- mainly because of lack of competition.
The top five Tamil films are:
1. Pudupettai - Director: Selvaraghavan - Selvaraghavan's Pudupettai drags on. Unlike his earlier films, this one has an overdose of violence, blood and gore. Still, it is the biggest draw at the moment.
2. Parijatham - Director: Bhagyaraj - Parijatham would have been a better film and bigger success if Bhagyaraj had not entered the film in the second half. Till then, the film had a clean, neat fun look. But Bhagyaraj, with his old brand of loud humour, spoilt everything in the second half.
3. Thalainagaram - Director: Suraj - The moderate success of Thalainagaram must have boosted the ego of director-turned-actor Sundar C, better known as actress Khushboo's husband.
4. Naalai - Director: Udayabanu Maheshwaran - If this film on Chennai underworld had come out earlier, everybody would have appreciated it. But it took a long time to hit the screens and by then people had seen Pattiyal -- and there is not much difference between the two films.
5. Jerry - Director: SB Kanthan - Actor 'Crazy' Mohan's crazy, crass comedies always achieve a reasonable degree of success in the cities.