'Valmiki' and 'Mazhabi' Sikhs on Sunday called off their proposed bandh on July 27 after being assured that the Punjab government would file a petition in the Supreme Court seeking restoration of 12.5 per cent quota for them in various jobs and educational institutions.
An assurance to this effect was given by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to a delegation of about 200 members of 'Valmiki and Mazhabi Sikh Arakshan Bachao Morcha', and other organizations, who called on the Chief Minister here today, an official release said.
Badal also assured the delegation led by Vijay Danav, National President of 'Bhartiya Valmiki Dharam Samaj Bhavadhas' that he would certainly take up this matter with the Prime Minister and the Law Ministry for a permanent solution.
Expressing gratitude to the Chief Minister, the 31-member Committee of the morcha called off its proposed state-wide bandh on July 27.
Dwelling on the plight of Valmikis and Mazhabi Sikhs, the Chairman of the Morcha Purshotam Chhabra demanded wholehearted support of the state government to resolve this issue on priority.
Badal said that the state government would leave no stone unturned to resolve the issue and esnure the uplift of the 'Valmiki' and Mazhabi Sikh communities in the State.
Badal said that he had already ordered closure of the ongoing process of counselling for the recruitment of 7654 teachers in the Education Department where Valmiki/Mazhabi Sikh applicants were not being given their due share of 12.5 per cent reservation.