PRIVATE BUS operators, who were not plying their buses on Indore route from January 9 to protest the shifting of bus stand from old Bhopal to Halalpura near Bairagarh, called off strike after discussion with District Collector S K Mishra late on Friday evening.
From Saturday, all 73 private buses on Indore/Ujjain routes will start plying from the Halalpura Bus Stand. This will provide partial relief to passengers who have been facing difficulties due to curtailment in number of buses and shifting of the bus stand.
The bus operators have decided to call off the strike following collector’s assurance that if they do not get enough passengers from the new bus stand for ten days, their demand to shift the stand back to old Bhopal will be reconsidered.
Anubandhit Bus Owners Association president Shyam Sundar Sharma told the Hindustan Times that the number of passengers boarding the buses would be counted everyday.
The number would be reported in the evening to the representative of district administration, who would be posted at the Halalpura Bus Stand. If the number of passengers is insufficient for operators to run service profitably, the district administration would reconsider their proposal to shift the stand back to old Bhopal.
The administration is said to have assured that if the association identifies any spot near the DIG bungalows where the stand could be shifted without any complications, the administration would also consider that option.
The district collector also confirmed that the strike had been called off. He said during next ten days the administration would hold meeting everyday with bus operators and would try to sort out any problems they face.
The delegation of bus owners’ association included Mohammad Akhtar, working president, Ajiz Khan, vice-president, Pappu Khan, secretary, Hafiz and Shiv Singh Gujar