Rahul in wife beating scandal! | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 30, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Rahul in wife beating scandal!

india Updated: Dec 08, 2006 19:44 IST

Newly wed couple Rahul Mahajan and Shweta Singh have denied that their two-and-a half-month-old marriage is on the rocks, as reported in a local daily.

The reports said, marriage was in danger due to alleged persistent "physical and verbal abuse".

Both, Rahul and Shweta, however said there is no truth to the report.

Shweta is said to have accused Rahul of beating her up, and wanting to end the abusive relationship, the report said.

Rahul had reportedly beaten up Shweta last Wednesday, leaving her with a cut on the lip, a bruised arm, and a sore back. The incident took place during Rahul's visit to Delhi in the presence of two of his friends.

Rahul and Shweta purportedly have differences over Rahul's future plans, following which he had hit her hard. This forced Shweta to return to Delhi. Shweta, a qualified pilot, is the daughter of a retired Brigadier.

Denying the domestic violence reports, Shweta said, "Every marriage has its lows, but Rahul has never beaten me up".

Rahul and Shweta's marriage took place on August 29, after Rahul, facing drug abuse charges, was released on bail.

The Mahajan family's fortunes have taken a turn for the worse after the assassination of Rahul's father former BJP leader Pramod Mahajan on April 22 at his apartment in Worli, Mumbai.

In June, Mahajan's secretary Bibek Moitra, died after consuming a heavy doze of drugs.

A drug-abuse-related chargesheet was also filed against Rahul and five others on August 3. Sahil Zaroo, Harish Sharma, Ganesh Kumar Sinha and two Nigerians - Abdul Latif Ashola Md Abdullah and Egbedokun James Taiwo, were charged under various sections of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act and the Indian Penal Code.

The chargesheet alleged that Rahul used the Mahajan official residence at 7, Safdarjung Road for "distribution and consumption of drugs" on the intervening night of June 1 and 2. Rahul was kept in police custody for a few days, but was later released on bail.