Rahul rakes up India Shining campaign | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Rahul rakes up India Shining campaign

india Updated: Nov 25, 2011 21:40 IST
Gaurav Saigal
Gaurav Saigal
Hindustan Times
Gaurav Saigal

In an effort to reiterate the pro-poor stance of the Congress, party general secretary Rahul Gandhi on Friday dug out the "India Shining" campaign of 2004 to attack the BJP in a public meeting at Siddharthnagar, 350 km east of Lucknow.

"It (India Shining) shone only for the leaders of the saffron brigade (BJP) in their houses and not for the people. In 2004 (during the general elections), the (current) opposition (then in power) had launched the 'India Shining' campaign. But it was a slogan only. They never visited your houses, didn’t eat food with you, and didn’t drink dirty water from the wells," he said in the meeting.

Gandhi was equally severe on the UP government.

"An elephant sitting in Lucknow is eating all your money sent by the Centre for the poor in UP," he said, referring to the poll symbol of the BSP, the ruling party in the state.

"Here the government represents only 10% of the population while the remaining 90% are victims of the loot. When poor people demand their rights, they are described as Naxalites by government officials," he said.