Raid on DoT over spectrum scam
The CBI today searched offices of Telecom Ministry probing the allegations of connivance of officials with private companies in allocation of spectrum, that may have caused a loss of Rs 22,000 crore to government.india Updated: Oct 23, 2009 02:27 IST
The Central Bureau of Investigation on Thursday raided top Department of Telecommunications (DoT) officials on allegations that they had colluded with private companies in issuing licences and allotting spectrum to new players on a first come, first served basis last year.
CBI officials searched the offices of, among others, deputy director general (access services-I) A.K. Srivastava and wireless adviser Ashok Chandra.
“The searches were done to collect incriminating documents linked to the irregular award of the licences,” said a CBI official who did not want to be named.
The raids came a day after the investigative agency lodged a case against “unknown DoT officials and unknown private persons/companies and others under sections related to criminal conspiracy read with Section 13(1)(d) of the Prevention of Corruption Act”, CBI spokesperson Harsh Bhal said.
Sources said the CBI asked for all the files related to the licences issued to Swan, Sistema Shyam, Local Loop, Datacom, Unitech Wireless and S Tel.
These firms were issued pan-India licences in January 2008 on the payment of Rs 1,650 crore.