Kimi Raikkonen will take a year out of Formula One after failing to reach a deal with McLaren for next season, the 2007 world champion's manager was quoted as saying on Wednesday.
“The alternatives at F1 level for next season were McLaren or nothing. Kimi and McLaren did not reach an agreement, so he will not drive at F1 level at least during next year,” Steve Robertson, his manager, said.
Raikkonen, who spent five years at McLaren before joining Ferrari at the end of 2006, has been replaced at the Italian team by Spain's double world champion Fernando Alonso despite having a year to run on his contract.
With a payoff in his pocket, he had already cast doubt on his Formula One future and said last month that any contract he signed would have to allow him to continue his rallying activities.
The 30-year-old, whose motivation has been repeatedly questioned since he won the title, competed in this year's Finnish round of the world rally championship in a Fiat after also entering three non-championship events.