Rajasthan royals strike back
Erstwhile royals wrest their place in Rajasthan's political space. Srinand Jha reports.india Updated: Dec 10, 2013 17:22 IST
The erstwhile royals – led by BJP’s Vasundhara Raje – are on the verge of wresting their place in Rajasthan’s political space.
After decades of being in political hibernation, the royalty is seeking to resurrect itself in a big way in the upcoming elections. The BJP and Congress have together put up 41 Rajput candidates – most of who claim to have blue blood flowing in their veins.
BJP’s Siddhi Kumari is the first royal to have registered a win from the Bikaner constituency, while Rao Randhir Singh Bhinder (Udaipur royal) is leading with a huge margin from the Vallabhnagar constituency.
Former royal from Bharatpur, Vishwendra Singh, is also leading from Deeg Kumher; while Gajendra Khewsar – Congress candidate from Jodhpur is also on the verge of registering a win with a big margin. BJP’s Manvendra Singh (son of former Union minister Jaswant Singh) is leading, as is the saffron party’s Kirti Kumari (from Mandalgarh royal family).
Diya Kumar (Jaipur), meanwhile, seems locked in a neck and neck battle with Kirodi Lal Meena (NPP).
At the time of writing, Durru Mian (Imamuddin Ahmed) appeared to be the only royal trailing behind. Durru Mian (former Nawab of Loharu) is the Congress candidate from Tijara.
The feudal culture of Rajasthan can surely be expected to grow.
Royals in the fray
1. Vasundhara Raje (Gwalior and Dholpur principalities) – BJP candidate from Jhalawar.
2. Siddhi Kumari (Bikaner principality) - BJP candidate from Bikaner.
3. Diya Kumari (Jaipur royal family) –BJP candidate from Sawai Madhopur.
4. Rohini Kumari (Karoli principality) – BJP candidate from Karoli.
5. Vishvendra Singh – Bharatpur royal – Congress candidate from Deeg Kumher.
6. Emamudin Ahmed Khan alias Durru Mian – erstwhile Nawab of Loharu – Congress candidate from Tijara constituency.
7. Bharat Singh (Kota Thekanadar) -Congress candidate from Kundanpur.
8. Rao Randheer Singh Bhinder – royal family of Udaipur - Independent candidate from Ballabhnagar constituency.